See, Play and Learn
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections that are passed from one person to another through sexual contact. The causes of STDs are bacteria, parasites, yeast, and viruses. There are more than 20 types of STDs, including
Most STDs affect both men and women, but in many cases the health problems they cause can be more severe for women. If a pregnant woman has an STD, it can cause serious health problems for the baby.
Antibiotics can treat STDs caused by bacteria, yeast, or parasites. There is no cure for STDs caused by a virus, but medicines can often help with the symptoms and keep the disease under control.
Correct usage of latex condoms greatly reduces, but does not completely eliminate, the risk of catching or spreading STDs. The most reliable way to avoid infection is to not have anal, vaginal, or oral sex.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Diagnosis and Tests
- Diagnostic Testing for Sexually Transmitted Infections (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Genital Problems in Men (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- Genital Problems in Women (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- STD Testing: What's Right for You (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
Statistics and Research
- FastStats: Sexually Transmitted Diseases/STD (National Center for Health Statistics)
- Incidence, Prevalence, and Cost of Sexually Transmitted Infections in the United States (National Center for Health Statistics) - PDF
- Reportable STDs in Young People 15-24 Years of Age, by State (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- State Profiles: HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Sexually Transmitted Diseases (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Addressing Human Papillomavirus Prevention During Pediatric Acute Sexual Assault Care.
- Article: Sexual behavior across the transition to adulthood and sexually transmitted...
- Article: Prevalence estimates of HIV, syphilis, hepatitis B and C among...
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases -- see more articles
- How Can Men Reduce the Risk of Getting a Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD)? (National Institute of Child Health and Human Development)
- What Gay, Bisexual and Other Men Who Have Sex with Men Need to Know about Sexually Transmitted Diseases (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections, Pregnancy, and Breastfeeding (Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health) Also in Spanish
- STDs and Pregnancy (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Also in Spanish
- Safe Sex Tips for Seniors (AGS Foundation for Health in Aging)
- Chancroid (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Condom Fact Sheet in Brief (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) - PDF Also in Spanish
- Donovanosis (granuloma inguinale) (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Genital sores - female (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Genital sores - male (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Safe sex (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish