A Heart-Healthy Recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 70 minutes
Number of Servings: 9
A heart healthy, easy-to-prepare version of this holiday classic.
For the pie crust:
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp water
For the pie filling:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Make the pie crust: Mix oats, flour, almonds, sugar, and salt together in small mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl/measuring cup, blend the oil and water together with a fork or small wire whisk, until emulsified (fully blended).
- Add the oil mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix well. If needed, add a small amount of water to hold the dough together.
- Work the dough into a disk shape, and roll on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle.
- Press into a 9-inch pie pan and bake for 8–10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Turn down oven to 350° F.
- Make the filling: Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and mix to blend ingredients.
- Add pumpkin and milk, and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared pie shell. Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.