A Heart-Healthy Recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
This tasty wrap is chock-full of yummy beans and vegetables and a great source of fiber.
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium yellow pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 can (15 and 1/2 oz) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and diced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 4 (8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- 8 Tbsp Fresh Salsa
- In a nonstick pan, sauté the peppers and onion in the canola oil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add beans, and stir well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, then set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the avocado, lime juice, cilantro, and chili powder. Reserve half of the mixture for topping.
- Add sour cream to beans, and mix well.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop.
- Fill a warmed tortilla with 1/4 bean mixture and 1/4 avocado mixture. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of salsa over the bean and avocado mixture. Fold ends of the tortilla over, and roll up to make wraps.
- Top the veggie wraps with remaining avocado mixture. Follow this process for the three other wraps.