A Heart-Healthy Recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
This zesty one-pot meal is easy to throw together on a busy weeknight
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1/3 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons green olives, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic, and sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stirfry for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the chicken has cooked through.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, lemon juice, cumin, bay leaves, water, and raisins to the vegetables and chicken.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve with brown rice and black beans. Garnish with fresh cilantro, capers, and olives.