Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Number of Servings: 10
This tropical-inspired dish is gently spiced for a rich flavor
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, rinsed and diced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 can (14 and 1/2 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 and 1/2 oz) low-sodium black beans (or beans of your choice), drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 and 1/2 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
- Sauté onion and green pepper in canola oil, in a large pan, until tender. Do not brown.
- Add tomatoes and beans (including liquid from both), as well as oregano and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and cover. Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Tip: Finish the meal with delicious tropical fruit, such as mangoes, papayas, or pineapple.
Note: If you can't find beans labeled "low-sodium," compare the Nutrition Facts panels to find the beans with the lowest amount of sodium. Rinsing can help further reduce the sodium level.