Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Number of Servings: 16
An easy-to-prepare treat, bursting with apricot and orange flavor.
- 1 package (6 oz) dried apricots, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated orange peel
- 3 and 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly oil two 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- Cook apricots in water in a covered medium-sized saucepan for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Drain; reserve 3/4 cup of the liquid. Set apricots aside to cool.
- Cream together the margarine and sugar. By hand, beat in the egg and orange peel.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, dry milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with reserved apricot liquid and orange juice.
- Stir apricot pieces and pecans into batter.
- Turn batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until bread springs back when lightly touched in center.
- Cool each loaf for 5 minutes in the pan. Remove from pan and completely cool on wire rack before slicing.