A Heart-Healthy Recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
What could be better than peach cobbler straight from the oven? A heart healthy version!
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup peach nectar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice or peach juice (if desired, use juice reserved from canned peaches)
- 2 cans (16 oz each) peaches, packed in juice, drained (or 1 and 3/4 lb fresh peaches, sliced)
- 1 Tbsp soft tub margarine
- 1 cup dry pancake mix
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Nonstick cooking spray, as needed
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Combine cinnamon, vanilla, cornstarch, peach nectar, and juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Add sliced peaches to mixture. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In another saucepan, melt margarine and set aside.
- Lightly spray an 8-inch-square glass dish with cooking spray. Pour hot peach mixture into dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pancake mix, flour, sugar, and melted margarine. Stir in evaporated milk. Quickly spoon this mixture over the peach mixture.
- Combine nutmeg and brown sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle mixture on top of batter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and cut into eight squares.