Heart surgery can correct problems with the heart if other treatments haven't worked or can't be used. The most common type of heart surgery for adults is coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG). During CABG, a healthy artery or vein from the body is connected, or grafted, to a blocked coronary (heart) artery.
Doctors also use heart surgery to
- Repair or replace heart valves, which control blood flow through the heart
- Repair abnormal or damaged structures in the heart
- Implant medical devices that help control the heartbeat or support heart function and blood flow
- Replace a damaged heart with a healthy heart from a donor
- Treat heart failure and coronary heart disease
- Control abnormal heart rhythms
Heart surgery has risks, even though its results often are excellent. Risks include bleeding, infection, irregular heartbeats, and stroke. The risk is higher if you are older or a woman. The risk is also higher if you have other diseases or conditions, such as diabetes, kidney disease, lung disease, or peripheral arterial disease.
NIH: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Dressler Syndrome (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- How Can I Prepare for Heart Surgery? (American Heart Association) - PDF
- What Is a Cardiothoracic Surgeon? (Society of Thoracic Surgeons) Also in Spanish
- What Is a Ventricular Assist Device? (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- Limited-Access Heart Surgery (Texas Heart Institute)
- Maze Surgery (Texas Heart Institute) Also in Spanish
- Transmyocardial Laser Revascularization (Texas Heart Institute) Also in Spanish
- Valve Repair or Replacement (Texas Heart Institute) Also in Spanish
- What Is a Total Artificial Heart? (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- Why Do I Need Heart Valve Surgery? (American Heart Association) - PDF Also in Spanish
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Increased FIO2 influences SvO2 interpretation and accuracy of Fick-based cardiac output...
- Article: Effect of Continuous Electrocardiogram Monitoring on Detection of Undiagnosed Atrial Fibrillation...
- Article: Surgical site infection prevention bundle for children submitted to cardiac surgery.
- Heart Surgery -- see more articles
- Aortic valve surgery - open (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Heart valve surgery (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Mitral valve surgery - minimally invasive (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Mitral valve surgery - open (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Open heart surgery (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish