In coronary artery disease (CAD), the arteries that supply blood and oxygen to your heart muscle grow hardened and narrowed. You may try treatments such as lifestyle changes, medicines, and angioplasty, a procedure to open the arteries. If these treatments don't help, you may need coronary artery bypass surgery.
The surgery creates a new path for blood to flow to the heart. The surgeon takes a healthy piece of vein from the leg or artery from the chest or wrist. Then the surgeon attaches it to the coronary artery, just above and below the narrowed area or blockage. This allows blood to bypass (get around) the blockage. Sometimes people need more than one bypass.
The results of the surgery usually are excellent. Many people remain symptom-free for many years. You may need surgery again if blockages form in the grafted arteries or veins or in arteries that weren't blocked before. Lifestyle changes and medicines may help prevent arteries from becoming clogged again.
NIH: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Coronary Artery Bypass (Texas Heart Institute) Also in Spanish
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (Beyond the Basics) (UpToDate)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- What Is Coronary Bypass Surgery? (American Heart Association)
- Cardiac Rehabilitation: MedlinePlus Health Topic (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
- Recovery After Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (Beyond the Basics) (UpToDate)
- What Happens After Heart Surgery? (American Heart Association) - PDF Also in Spanish
- What to Expect After Heart Surgery (Society of Thoracic Surgeons) - PDF
- Coronary Artery Disease: Angioplasty or Bypass Surgery? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Coronary Artery Bypass (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Heart bypass surgery (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Heart bypass surgery - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Heart bypass surgery - minimally invasive (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Heart bypass surgery - minimally invasive - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish