Eating disorders are serious behavior problems. They can include severe overeating or not consuming enough food to stay healthy. They also involve extreme concern about your shape or weight.
Types of eating disorders include
- Anorexia nervosa, in which you become too thin, but you don't eat enough because you think you are fat
- Bulimia nervosa, which involves periods of overeating followed by purging, sometimes through self-induced vomiting or using laxatives
- Binge-eating, which is out-of-control eating
Women are more likely than men to have eating disorders. They usually start in the teenage years and often occur along with depression, anxiety disorders, and substance abuse.
Eating disorders can lead to heart and kidney problems and even death. Getting help early is important. Treatment involves monitoring, talk therapy, nutritional counseling, and sometimes medicines.
NIH: National Institute of Mental Health
- Compulsive Exercise (Nemours Foundation)
- What People with Anorexia Nervosa Need to Know about Osteoporosis (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases)
- Anorexia Nervosa (Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health)
- Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (Merck & Co., Inc.) Also in Spanish
- Binge Eating Disorder (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
- Binge Eating Disorder (Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health) Also in Spanish
- Bulimia nerviosa (Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health)
- Pica (American Academy of Family Physicians)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Consider Addison's disease in differential diagnosis of eating disorders in...
- Article: Intestinal microbiota - a key to understanding the pathophysiology of...
- Article: Lisdexamfetamine: chemistry, pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, and clinical efficacy, safety, and tolerability...
- Eating Disorders -- see more articles
- Eating Disorders Glossary (F.E.A.S.T.)
Find an Expert
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Behavioral Health and Substance Abuse Treatment Services Locator (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration)
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist Finder (American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry)
- Find a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
- Help for Mental Illnesses (National Institute of Mental Health)
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Binge Eating Disorder (Nemours Foundation)
- Compulsive Exercise (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- Eating Disorders (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- I Think My Friend May Have an Eating Disorder. What Should I Do? (Nemours Foundation)
- Teen Eating Disorders: Tips to Protect Your Teen (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Pregorexia: A Legitimate Problem during Pregnancy? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish