Your throat is a tube that carries food to your esophagus and air to your windpipe and larynx (also called the voice box). The technical name for the throat is pharynx.
Treatment depends on the cause. Sucking on lozenges, drinking lots of liquids, and gargling may ease the pain. Over-the-counter pain relievers can also help, but children should not take aspirin.
- Get Smart: Know When Antibiotics Work - Sore Throat (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Also in Spanish
- Sore Throat (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- Sore Throat? Know When To Call the Doctor (American Osteopathic Association)
- Sore Throats (American Academy of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery)
Diagnosis and Tests
- Difference between a Sore Throat, Strep, and Tonsillitis (American Academy of Pediatrics) Also in Spanish
- Strep Throat Test (American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
- Throat Culture (American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
Treatments and Therapies
- Mouth or Throat Pain or Sores (American Cancer Society) Also in Spanish
- Soothing a Sore Throat (National Institutes of Health) Also in Spanish
- Sore Throat: Self-Management (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Sore Throat: Treatment (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
Health Check Tools
- Sore Throat (DSHI Systems)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Pharyngitis (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: The BeSMART (Best Supportive Management for Adults Referred with Tonsillopharyngitis)...
- Article: Hyaluronate effect on bacterial biofilm in ENT district infections: a...
- Article: Clinical management and patient persistence with antibiotic course in suspected...
- Sore Throat -- see more articles
- Pharynx Anatomy (National Cancer Institute)
Find an Expert
- American Academy of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery
- Find an ENT (American Academy of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery)
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders