See, Play and Learn
If you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around, you might have arthritis. Most kinds of arthritis cause pain and swelling in your joints. Joints are places where two bones meet, such as your elbow or knee. Over time, a swollen joint can become severely damaged. Some kinds of arthritis can also cause problems in your organs, such as your eyes or skin.
Types of arthritis include
- Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis. It's often related to aging or to an injury.
- Autoimmune arthritis happens when your body's immune system attacks healthy cells in your body by mistake. Rheumatoid arthritis is the most common form of this kind of arthritis.
- Juvenile arthritis is a type of arthritis that happens in children.
- Infectious arthritis is an infection that has spread from another part of the body to the joint.
- Psoriatic arthritis affects people with psoriasis.
- Gout is a painful type of arthritis that happens when too much uric acid builds up in the body. It often starts in the big toe.
NIH: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- 1 in 4 U.S. Adults Disabled by Arthritis: CDC (03/07/2017, HealthDay)
- Even a Little Exercise Can Help with Arthritis, Study Says (01/31/2017, HealthDay)
Diagnosis and Tests
- Arthrography (American College of Radiology, Radiological Society of North America) Also in Spanish
- Bone X-Ray (Radiography) (American College of Radiology, Radiological Society of North America) Also in Spanish
- C-Reactive Protein (CRP) Test (American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
- MRI of the Musculoskeletal System (American College of Radiology, Radiological Society of North America) Also in Spanish
- Synovial Fluid Analysis (American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
Treatments and Therapies
- Joint Injection/Aspiration (American College of Rheumatology)
- Joint Replacement Surgery: Health Information Basics for You and Your Family (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases) Also in Spanish
- Pain Relievers: MedlinePlus Health Topic (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
- Topical Pain Medications (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Accommodation and Compliance Series: Employees with Arthritis (Office of Disability Employment Policy)
- Sex and Arthritis (American College of Rheumatology)
- What Are Osteoporosis and Arthritis and How Are They Different? (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases) Also in Spanish
- Adult Still's Disease (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Arthritis of the Hand (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Society for Surgery of the Hand) - PDF
- Arthritis of the Wrist (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons) - PDF
- Enteropathic Arthritis (Spondylitis Association of America)
- MP Joint Arthritis (American Society for Surgery of the Hand)
- Thumb Arthritis (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
Videos and Tutorials
- Arthroscopic Ankle Fusion on 72 Year-Old with Severe Arthritis Pain (BroadcastMed) - Broward Health Medical Center, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 5/12/2014
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Arthritis (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Increase in the prevalence of arthritis in adulthood among adults...
- Article: Incident acute pseudogout and prior bisphosphonate use: Matched case-control study...
- Article: Correlations of CYP2C9*3/CYP2D6*10/CYP3A5*3 gene polymorphisms with efficacy of etanercept treatment...
- Arthritis -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Arthritis Foundation: Local Office Directory (Arthritis Foundation)
- Find a Rheumatologist (American College of Rheumatology)
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Also in Spanish