Your trachea, or windpipe, is one part of your airway system. Airways are pipes that carry oxygen-rich air to your lungs. They also carry carbon dioxide, a waste gas, out of your lungs.
When you inhale, air travels from your nose, through your larynx, and down your windpipe. The windpipe splits into two bronchi that enter your lungs.
Problems with the trachea include narrowing, inflammation, and some inherited conditions. You may need a procedure called a tracheostomy to help you breathe if you have swallowing problems, or have conditions that affect coughing or block your airways. You might also need a tracheostomy if you are in critical care and need to be on a breathing machine.
NIH: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Larynx & Trachea (National Cancer Institute)
- Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Tracheal Diseases (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Evaluation of Endovascular Intervention for Tracheo-Innominate Artery Fistula: A Systematic Review.
- Article: Clinical application of pedicled thoracoacromial artery perforator flaps for tracheal reconstruction.
- Article: Evaluation of the Incidence and Potential Mechanisms of Tracheal Complications in...
- Tracheal Disorders -- see more articles
- Bacterial Tracheitis (Merck & Co., Inc.) Also in Spanish
- Croup: MedlinePlus Health Topic (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
- Esophageal Atresia and Tracheoesophageal Fistula (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- Tracheoesophageal fistula repair - slideshow (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Blockage of upper airway (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Swallowing problems (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Tracheitis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Tracheoesophageal fistula and esophageal atresia repair (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Tracheomalacia - acquired (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Tracheomalacia - congenital (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Tracheostomy (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish