The brain, spinal cord, and nerves make up the nervous system. Together they control all the workings of the body. When something goes wrong with a part of your nervous system, you can have trouble moving, speaking, swallowing, breathing, or learning. You can also have problems with your memory, senses, or mood.
There are more than 600 neurologic diseases. Major types include
- Diseases caused by faulty genes, such as Huntington's disease and muscular dystrophy
- Problems with the way the nervous system develops, such as spina bifida
- Degenerative diseases, where nerve cells are damaged or die, such as Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease
- Diseases of the blood vessels that supply the brain, such as stroke
- Injuries to the spinal cord and brain
- Seizure disorders, such as epilepsy
- Cancer, such as brain tumors
- infections, such as meningitis
- What Health-Related Functions Are Regulated by the Nervous System? (National Institute of Child Health and Human Development) Also in Spanish
- Preparing for an Office Visit (American Academy of Neurology)
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis: MedlinePlus Health Topic (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
- Arachnoid Cysts (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke) Also in Spanish
- Mingling Senses: Synesthesia Explained (National Institutes of Health) Also in Spanish
- Neurotoxicity (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke)
- Paresthesia (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke) Also in Spanish
- Genetics Home Reference: alternating hemiplegia of childhood (National Library of Medicine)
- Genetics Home Reference: Sjögren-Larsson syndrome (National Library of Medicine)
- Genetics Home Reference: spastic paraplegia type 5A (National Library of Medicine)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Nervous System Diseases (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Impact of Air Pollution and Seasonal Haze on Neurological Conditions.
- Article: MicroRNA-mediated regulation of Nrf2 signaling pathway: Implications in disease therapy and...
- Article: Therapeutic Uses of Cannabis on Sleep Disorders and Related Conditions.
- Neurologic Diseases -- see more articles