The brain, spinal cord, and nerves make up the nervous system. Together they control all the workings of the body. When something goes wrong with a part of your nervous system, you can have trouble moving, speaking, swallowing, breathing, or learning. You can also have problems with your memory, senses, or mood.
There are more than 600 neurologic diseases. Major types include
- Diseases caused by faulty genes, such as Huntington's disease and muscular dystrophy
- Problems with the way the nervous system develops, such as spina bifida
- Degenerative diseases, where nerve cells are damaged or die, such as Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease
- Diseases of the blood vessels that supply the brain, such as stroke
- Injuries to the spinal cord and brain
- Seizure disorders, such as epilepsy
- Cancer, such as brain tumors
- infections, such as meningitis
- Preparing for an Office Visit (American Academy of Neurology)
- Acute Flaccid Myelitis: MedlinePlus Health Topic (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
- Arachnoid Cysts (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke) Also in Spanish
- Mingling Senses: Synesthesia Explained (National Institutes of Health) Also in Spanish
- Neurotoxicity (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke)
- Paresthesia (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke) Also in Spanish
- Pseudobulbar Affect (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Alternating hemiplegia of childhood: MedlinePlus Genetics (National Library of Medicine)
- Sjögren-Larsson syndrome: MedlinePlus Genetics (National Library of Medicine)
- Spastic paraplegia type 5A: MedlinePlus Genetics (National Library of Medicine)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Nervous System Diseases (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Early blood pH as an independent predictor of neurological outcome in...
- Article: Development of delayed neurologic sequelae in acute carbon monoxide poisoning cases...
- Article: Neurologic manifestations in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in Mexico City.
- Neurologic Diseases -- see more articles