You use your fingers and thumbs to do everything from grasping objects to playing musical instruments to typing. When there is something wrong with them, it can make life difficult. Common problems include:
- Injuries that result in fractures (broken bones), ruptured ligaments and dislocations
- Osteoarthritis - wear-and-tear arthritis. It can also cause deformity.
- Tendinitis - irritation of the tendons
- Dupuytren's contracture - a hereditary thickening of the tough tissue that lies just below the skin of your palm. It causes the fingers to stiffen and bend.
- Trigger finger - an irritation of the sheath that surrounds the flexor tendons. It can cause the tendon to catch and release like a trigger.
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Practical study on the application of full-cycle fast track surgical nursing...
- Article: Direct fixation of fracture fragment with modified double Kirschner wires for...
- Article: Double-pivot proper digital artery perforator flap for fingertip reconstruction.
- Finger Injuries and Disorders -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Claw hand (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Clubbing of the fingers or toes (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Finger pain (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Mallet finger - aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Polydactyly (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Smashed fingers (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Trigger finger (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish