Tendons are flexible bands of tissue that connect muscles to bones. They help your muscles move your bones. Tendinitis is the severe swelling of a tendon.
Tendinitis usually happens after repeated injury to an area such as the wrist or ankle. It causes pain and soreness around a joint. Some common forms of tendinitis are named after the sports that increase their risk. They include tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, pitcher's shoulder, swimmer's shoulder, and jumper's knee.
Doctors diagnose tendinitis with your medical history, a physical exam, and imaging tests. The first step in treatment is to reduce pain and swelling. Rest, wrapping or elevating the affected area, and medicines can help. Ice is helpful for recent, severe injuries. Other treatments include ultrasound, physical therapy, steroid injections, and surgery.
- Protect Your Tendons: Preventing the Pain of Tendinitis (National Institutes of Health) Also in Spanish
- Tendinitis and Bursitis (American College of Rheumatology) Also in Spanish
Treatments and Therapies
- Achilles Tendinitis (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons)
- De Quervain's Tendinosis (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons)
- De Quervain's Tenosynovitis (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- Peroneal Tendinosis (American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society)
- Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction (PTTD) (American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons) Also in Spanish
- Shoulder Impingement/Rotator Cuff Tendinitis (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons)
- Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis) (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons)
- Trigger Finger (American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: CALCIFIC TENDINOPATHY: CALCIUM DEPOSIT MORPHOLOGY DIRECTLY AFFECTS PAIN AND FUNCTION OF...
- Article: Effectiveness of a high volume injection as treatment for chronic Achilles...
- Article: The strength of association between psychological factors and clinical outcome in...
- Tendinitis -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Find a Rheumatologist (American College of Rheumatology)
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Also in Spanish
- Achilles tendinitis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- De Quervain tendinitis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Rotator cuff problems (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Tendinitis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Tennis elbow (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Tenosynovitis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish