Your small intestine is the longest part of your digestive system - about twenty feet long! It connects your stomach to your large intestine (or colon) and folds many times to fit inside your abdomen. Your small intestine does most of the digesting of the foods you eat. It has three areas called the duodenum, the ileum, and the jejunum.
Problems with the small intestine can include:
- Celiac disease
- Crohn's disease
- Intestinal cancer
- Intestinal obstruction
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ulcers, such as peptic ulcer
Treatment of disorders of the small intestine depends on the cause.
Diagnosis and Tests
- Fecal Occult Blood Test and Fecal Immunochemical Test (American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
- Home Use Tests: Fecal Occult Blood (Food and Drug Administration)
- O&P (Ova and Parasite) Test (American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
- Small Bowel Bleeding (American College of Gastroenterology) Also in Spanish
- Stool Culture (American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
- Understanding Capsule Endoscopy (American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy) Also in Spanish
- Upper GI Series (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases) Also in Spanish
- Ostomy Surgery of the Bowel (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
- Blind Loop Syndrome (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Intestinal Malrotation (Nemours Foundation)
- Meckel's Diverticulum (American Academy of Family Physicians)
- Short Bowel Syndrome (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
- Superior Mesenteric Artery (SMA) Syndrome (Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: CLINICAL PRACTICE. Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding Due to a Peptic Ulcer.
- Article: Association of Acute Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease With Esophageal Histologic Changes.
- Article: Commentary on "Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis in Hospitalized Patients, Subsequent Use...
- Small Intestine Disorders -- see more articles
- Intestinal Failure (Short Bowel Syndrome) (North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition) - PDF Also in Spanish
- Necrotizing Enterocolitis (Nemours Foundation)
- Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC) (National Institute of Child Health and Human Development)
- Rare Infections: Yersinia Enterocolitica and Yersinia Pseudotuberculosis (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Duodenal atresia Also in Spanish
- EGD - esophagogastroduodenoscopy Also in Spanish
- EGD discharge Also in Spanish
- Enteritis Also in Spanish
- Enteroscopy Also in Spanish
- Meckel's diverticulectomy Also in Spanish
- Small bowel bacterial overgrowth Also in Spanish
- Small bowel resection Also in Spanish
- Upper GI and small bowel series Also in Spanish