Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease. This means that your immune system attacks parts of your own body by mistake. In Sjogren's syndrome, it attacks the glands that make tears and saliva. This causes a dry mouth and dry eyes. You may have dryness in other places that need moisture, such as your nose, throat, and skin. Sjogren's can also affect other parts of the body, including your joints, lungs, kidneys, blood vessels, digestive organs, and nerves.
To make a diagnosis, doctors may use a medical history, physical exam, certain eye and mouth tests, blood tests, and biopsies.
Treatment focuses on relieving symptoms. It can differ for each person; it depends on what parts of the body are affected. It may include artificial tears for dye eyes and sucking on sugar-free candy or drinking water often for a dry mouth. Medicines may help with severe symptoms.
NIH: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- Dry Eyes and Mouth? You May Have Sjögren's Syndrome (National Institutes of Health)
- Sjogren's Syndrome (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Sjogren's Syndrome Information Page (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke)
- Sjögren's Syndrome (American College of Rheumatology)
- What Is Sjögren's Syndrome? (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases)
Treatments and Therapies
- Simple Solutions for Dry Eye (Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation) - PDF
- Sjogren's Syndrome: Can It Cause Recurrent UTIs? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Sun and Sjogren's Syndrome (Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation) - PDF
- Surgery, Hospitals, and Medications (Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation) - PDF
- Tips for Airline Travelers with Sjogren's Syndrome (Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation) - PDF
- What You Need to Know About Sjogren's Syndrome (Lupus Foundation of America)
- Genetics Home Reference: Sjögren syndrome (National Library of Medicine)
Videos and Tutorials
- Sjogren's Syndrome: A Place to Begin (Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation)
Statistics and Research
- New Genetic Susceptibility Factors for Sjögren's Syndrome Revealed (National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Sjogren's Syndrome (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Pathological changes of renal biopsy in Sjögren Syndrome.
- Article: Risk of Parkinson disease in Sjögren syndrome administered ineffective immunosuppressant therapies:...
- Article: Characteristics of dry eye in patients with pre-existing Sjögren's syndrome according...
- Sjogren's Syndrome -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Find a Rheumatologist (American College of Rheumatology)
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Also in Spanish
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research Also in Spanish
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Also in Spanish
- Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation