Potassium is a mineral that your body needs to work properly. It is a type of electrolyte. It helps your nerves to function and muscles to contract. It helps your heartbeat stay regular. It also helps move nutrients into cells and waste products out of cells. A diet rich in potassium helps to offset some of sodium's harmful effects on blood pressure.
Many people get all the potassium they need from what they eat and drink. Sources of potassium in the diet include
- Leafy greens, such as spinach and collards
- Fruit from vines, such as grapes and blackberries
- Root vegetables, such as carrots and potatoes
- Citrus fruits, such as oranges and grapefruit
Your kidneys help to keep the right amount of potassium in your body. If you have chronic kidney disease, your kidneys may not remove extra potassium from the blood. Some medicines also can raise your potassium level. You may need a special diet to lower the amount of potassium that you eat.
- National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference - Find Nutrient Value of Common Foods by Nutrient (Department of Agriculture)
- Potassium (American Heart Association)
- Potassium (National Institutes of Health, Office of Dietary Supplements) Also in Spanish
- What is Potassium? (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
- Can Diuretics Decrease Your Potassium Level? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Low Potassium Diet (Beyond the Basics) (UpToDate)
- Potassium and Your CKD Diet (National Kidney Foundation)
- Shifting the Balance of Sodium and Potassium in Your Diet (Harvard School of Public Health)
- How Potassium Can Help Control High Blood Pressure (American Heart Association)
- Hyperkalemia (High Potassium) (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Effectiveness of a Self-monitoring Device for Urinary Sodium-to-Potassium Ratio on...
- Article: Potassium homeostasis in health and disease: A scientific workshop cosponsored...
- Article: Comparisons of Cardiometabolic Biomarkers, Lifestyle Behaviors, and Dietary Sodium and...
- Potassium -- see more articles