Hyperglycemia means high blood sugar or glucose. Glucose comes from the foods you eat. Insulin is a hormone that moves glucose into your cells to give them energy. Hyperglycemia happens when your body doesn't make enough insulin or can't use it the right way.
People with diabetes can get hyperglycemia from not eating the right foods or not taking medicines correctly. Other problems that can raise blood sugar include infections, certain medicines, hormone imbalances, or severe illnesses.
- High Blood Glucose: What It Means and How To Treat It (Joslin Diabetes Center)
- Hyperglycemia (High Blood Glucose) (American Diabetes Association) Also in Spanish
- Hyperglycemia in Diabetes (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Diabetic Hyperosmolar Syndrome (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Nonketotic Syndrome (HHNS) (American Diabetes Association) Also in Spanish
- Managing Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar) in the Hospital: a Patient's Guide (Hormone Health Network) - PDF
Statistics and Research
- Patient Access to Research (American Diabetes Association)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Hyperglycemia (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Hyperglycemia is associated with cardiac complications in elderly nondiabetic patients...
- Article: Is hemoglobin A1c and perioperative hyperglycemia predictive of periprosthetic joint...
- Article: Abnormal glucose regulation in Chinese patients with coronary artery disease:...
- Hyperglycemia -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- American Diabetes Association
- Directory of Diabetes Organizations (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases) - PDF
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Diabetic hyperglycemic hyperosmolar syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Diabetic ketoacidosis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- High blood sugar (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Hyperglycemia - infants (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Ketones urine test (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish