Health CheckupAlso called: Annual checkup, Annual physical examination, Routine physical examination
Regular health exams and tests can help find problems before they start. They also can help find problems early, when your chances for treatment and cure are better. Which exams and screenings you need depends on your age, health and family history, and lifestyle choices such as what you eat, how active you are, and whether you smoke.
To make the most of your next check-up, here are some things to do before you go:
- Review your family health history
- Find out if you are due for any general screenings or vaccinations
- Write down a list of issues and questions to take with you
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Regular Check-Ups Are Important (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Check-Up Checklist: Things to Do Before Your Next Check-Up (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Immunization Schedules for Adults (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Talking With Your Doctor: MedlinePlus Health Topic (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
Health Check Tools
- Question Builder: Be Prepared for Your Next Medical Appointment (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
- Your Health Priorities Tool (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Waist-to-height ratio is the best anthropometric predictor of hypertension: A...
- Article: Bone mineral density is increased after a 16-week resistance training...
- Article: Dose-dependent association between muscle-strengthening activities and all-cause mortality: Prospective cohort...
- Health Checkup -- see more articles
- Medical Care and Your 13- to 18-Year-Old (Nemours Foundation)
- Preventive Visit and Yearly Wellness Exams (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services)
- Health screening - men - age 18 - 39 (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Health screening - men - age 40 - 64 (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Health screening - men - over 65 (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Physical exam frequency (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Well-child visits (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish