Regular checkups with your health care provider are different from appointments for sickness or injury. These checkups include physical exams as well as preventive care. Preventative care may include:
- Screening tests, which are medical tests to check for diseases early, when they may be easier to treat. Which screenings you need will depend on your:
- Overall health
- Family health history
- Risks for certain diseases
- Vaccines, which can improve your health by preventing diseases and other health problems.
- Education and counseling to help you make informed health decisions. This could include advice about your lifestyle, including your diet, how much exercise you get, and any alcohol, tobacco, or other substances you may be using.
To make the most of your next check-up, here are some things to do before you go:
- Review your family health history
- Find out if you are due for any general screenings or vaccines
- Make and bring a list of issues and questions you would like to talk about with your provider
- Make and bring a list of any medicines, vitamins, supplements that you take
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Adult Immunization Schedule: Recommendations for Ages 19 Years or Older, United States, 2023 (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- How to Understand Your Lab Results (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
- Talking With Your Doctor: MedlinePlus Health Topic (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
Health Check Tools
- Question Builder: Be Prepared for Your Next Medical Appointment (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: The medical licensing assessment will fall short of determining whether a...
- Article: Swin-Transformer -YOLOv5 for lightweight hot-rolled steel strips surface defect detection algorithm.
- Article: Environmental Preferences and Concerns of Recreational Trail Runners.
- Health Checkup -- see more articles
- Health screenings for men age 65 and older (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Health screenings for men ages 18 to 39 (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Health screenings for men ages 40 to 64 (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Physical exam frequency (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Well-child visits (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish