DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. It is an eating plan that is based on research studies sponsored by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). These studies showed that DASH lowers high blood pressure and improves levels of cholesterol. This reduces your risk of getting heart disease.
The DASH eating plan
- Emphasizes vegetables, fruits, and whole-grains
- Includes fat-free or low-fat dairy products, fish, poultry, beans, nuts, and vegetable oils
- Limits foods that are high in saturated fat. These foods include fatty meats, full-fat dairy products, and tropical oils such as coconut, palm kernel, and palm oils.
- Limits sugar-sweetened beverages and sweets
Along with DASH, other lifestyle changes can help lower your blood pressure. They include staying at a healthy weight, exercising, and not smoking.
NIH: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Can Whole-Grain Foods Lower Blood Pressure? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- DASH diet to lower high blood pressure (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- DASH Diet: Reducing Hypertension through Diet and Lifestyle (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
- DASH Diet: Tips for Shopping and Cooking (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- DASH Eating Plan (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- High blood pressure and diet (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Managing Blood Pressure with a Heart-Healthy Diet (American Heart Association)
- Understanding the DASH diet (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Your Guide To Lowering Your Blood Pressure with DASH (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute) - PDF
- Genetics Home Reference: hypertension (National Library of Medicine)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: DASH Diet (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Diet Concordance and Incident Heart Failure:...
- Article: Poor accordance to a DASH dietary pattern is associated with higher...
- Article: Adherence to DASH-Style Dietary Pattern Impacts on Adiponectin and Clustered Metabolic...
- DASH Eating Plan -- see more articles