Your adrenal glands are just above your kidneys. The outside layer of these glands makes hormones that help your body respond to stress and regulate your blood pressure and water and salt balance. Addison disease happens if the adrenal glands don't make enough of these hormones.
A problem with your immune system usually causes Addison disease. The immune system mistakenly attacks your own tissues, damaging your adrenal glands. Other causes include infections and cancer.
- Weight loss
- Muscle weakness
- Fatigue that gets worse over time
- Low blood pressure
- Patchy or dark skin
Lab tests can confirm that you have Addison disease. If you don't treat it, it can be fatal. You will need to take hormone pills for the rest of your life. If you have Addison disease, you should carry an emergency ID. It should say that you have the disease, list your medicines and say how much you need in an emergency.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Addison's Disease (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- Adrenal Insufficiency (Hormone Health Network) - PDF Also in Spanish
- Adrenal Insufficiency (Addison's Disease) (UpToDate)
- Adrenal Insufficiency and Addison's Disease (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
- Addison's Disease: Symptoms and Causes (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
Treatments and Therapies
- Addison's Disease: Treatment (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Managing Adrenal Insufficiency (National Institutes of Health, Clinical Center) - PDF
- Genetics Home Reference: autoimmune Addison disease (National Library of Medicine)
- Genetics Home Reference: autoimmune polyendocrinopathy-candidiasis-ectodermal dystrophy (National Library of Medicine)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Genetic defects in pediatric-onset adrenal insufficiency in Japan.
- Article: MECHANISMS IN ENDOCRINOLOGY: Update on pathogenesis of primary adrenal insufficiency:...
- Article: Health-related quality of life of patients with hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis dysregulations:...
- Addison Disease -- see more articles