Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small bell or jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 cups chopped tomato, fresh or canned, with juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Brown meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 °F in an electric skillet). Drain fat*.
- Add onion and peppers and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add rice, tomato, 2 cups water, and spices. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try brown rice and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- If using instant rice, reduce water to 1 cup.
- Try ground turkey in place of beef.
- Try adding cilantro on top for more flavor.
- *Pour fat from cooked meat into a metal container. Let it cool, then dispose of it in a garbage can.