Tobacco use is the most common preventable cause of death. About half of the people who don't quit smoking will die of smoking-related problems. Quitting smoking is important for your health.
Soon after you quit, your circulation begins to improve, and your blood pressure starts to return to normal. Your sense of smell and taste return, and it's easier for you to breathe. In the long term, giving up tobacco can help you live longer. Your risk of getting cancer decreases with each year you stay smoke-free.
Quitting is not easy. You may have short-term affects such as weight gain, irritability, and anxiety. Some people try several times before they succeed. There are many ways to quit smoking. Some people stop "cold turkey." Others benefit from step-by-step manuals, counseling, or medicines or products that help reduce nicotine addiction. Some people think that switching to e-cigarettes can help you quit smoking, but that has not been proven. Your health care provider can help you find the best way for you to quit.
NIH: National Cancer Institute
- BeTobaccoFree.gov (Department of Health and Human Services)
- Cigarette Smoking: Health Risks and How to Quit (PDQ) (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Guide to Quitting Smoking (American Cancer Society) Also in Spanish
- Harms of Smoking and Health Benefits of Quitting (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Making a Quit Plan (National Cancer Institute, Tobacco Control Research Branch) Also in Spanish
- Quit Smoking (Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion)
- Smokefree.gov (National Cancer Institute, Tobacco Control Research Branch)
- Smoking and Tobacco Use: How to Quit (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Countdown to Quitting: Make 2017 Your Year To Quit (12/30/2016, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- It's Never Too Late to Stop Smoking (11/30/2016, HealthDay)
- Smoking Raises Heart Attack Risk 8-Fold in People Under 50 (11/30/2016, HealthDay)
Treatments and Therapies
- Medication Guide (National Cancer Institute, Tobacco Control Research Branch)
- Quit-Smoking Products: Boost Your Chance of Quitting for Good (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Time to Talk: 5 Things to Know about Complementary Health Approaches for Quitting Smoking (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
- Helping a Smoker Quit: Do's and Don'ts (American Cancer Society)
- How to Handle Withdrawal Symptoms and Triggers When You Decide to Quit Smoking (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Quitting Smoking - Help for Cravings and Tough Situations (American Cancer Society) Also in Spanish
Statistics and Research
- CDC Vital Signs: Adult Smoking among People with Mental Illness (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Also in Spanish
- Complementary Health Approaches for Smoking Cessation: What the Science Says (National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health)
- Receptor May Underlie Gender Differences in Response to Smoking Cessation Therapy (National Institute on Drug Abuse)
- Smoking Cessation (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Smoking Cessation (National Institutes of Health)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Effects of a group-focused cognitive behavioral health education program on...
- Article: Relationship of cardiometabolic parameters in non-smokers, current smokers, and quitters...
- Article: Interventions for tobacco use cessation in people in treatment for...
- Quitting Smoking -- see more articles
- Dispelling Myths about Nicotine Replacement Therapy (National Cancer Institute) - PDF
- Nicotine addiction and withdrawal (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Nicotine replacement therapy (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Smoking and surgery (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Smoking cessation medications (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Stop smoking support programs (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Weight gain after quitting smoking: What to do (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish