The pericardium is a membrane, or sac, that surrounds your heart. It holds the heart in place and helps it work properly. Problems with the pericardium include:
- Pericarditis - an inflammation of the sac. It can be from a virus or other infection, a heart attack, heart surgery, other medical conditions, injuries, and certain medicines.
- Pericardial effusion - the buildup of fluid in the sac
- Cardiac tamponade - a serious problem in which buildup of fluid in the sac causes problems with the function of the heart
Symptoms of pericardial problems include chest pain, rapid heartbeat, and difficulty breathing. Fever is a common symptom of acute pericarditis. Your doctor may use a physical exam, imaging tests, and heart tests to make a diagnosis. Treatment depends on the cause.
NIH: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Heart Inflammation (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- Myocarditis and Pericarditis after mRNA COVID-19 Vaccination (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Also in Spanish
- Acute Pericarditis (Merck & Co., Inc.) Also in Spanish
- Chronic Pericarditis (Merck & Co., Inc.) Also in Spanish
- Dressler Syndrome (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Pericardial Effusion (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Pericarditis (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Pericarditis (Texas Heart Institute) Also in Spanish
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Association between endothelin-1 and systemic lupus erythematosus: insights from a case-control...
- Article: The evolution of endobronchial ultrasound usage in modern era.
- Article: Cardiac Tamponade Induced by Malignancy-Associated Chylopericardium.
- Pericardial Disorders -- see more articles
- Cardiac tamponade (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Pericardiocentesis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Pericarditis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Pericarditis - after heart attack (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Pericarditis - constrictive (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish