See, Play and Learn
- High blood pressure
- High blood glucose, or blood sugar, levels
- High levels of triglycerides, a type of fat, in your blood
- Low levels of HDL, the good cholesterol, in your blood
- Too much fat around your waist
Not all doctors agree on the definition or cause of metabolic syndrome. The cause might be insulin resistance. Insulin is a hormone your body produces to help you turn sugar from food into energy for your body. If you are insulin resistant, too much sugar builds up in your blood, setting the stage for disease.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Blood Pressure Problems During Pregnancy, Heart Trouble Later? (06/27/2016, HealthDay)
- Symptoms and Diagnosis of Metabolic Syndrome (American Heart Association)
Prevention and Risk Factors
- Metabolic Risk: Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease and Type 2 Diabetes (Hormone Health Network) - PDF
Treatments and Therapies
- How Is Metabolic Syndrome Treated? (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- Diabetes, Heart Disease, and Stroke (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
- High Blood Pressure and Metabolic Syndrome (American Heart Association)
- Hormones and Obesity (Hormone Health Network) Available in Spanish
- Insulin Resistance and Prediabetes (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
- Why Metabolic Syndrome Matters (American Heart Association)
Health Check Tools
- Heart Attack Risk Assessment (American Heart Association)
Statistics and Research
- Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome Among Adults 20 Years of Age and Over (National Center for Health Statistics) - PDF
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Correction of hypovitaminosis D does not improve the metabolic syndrome...
- Article: Trends in Metabolic Syndrome Severity and Lifestyle Factors Among Adolescents.
- Article: Road traffic noise effects on cardiovascular, respiratory, and metabolic health:...
- Metabolic Syndrome -- see more articles