Understanding Medical Words Tutorial
Let's begin with some basic body parts. The root of a medical word is usually a body part.
- Bone is oste
- Muscle is myo
- Nerves is neur
- Skin is derm
The root of echocardioogram is cardio. It means heart. Here are some roots for your heart and blood vessels.
- Your heart is cardio
- Your veins and arteries are vas or vasc
- The system of heart and blood vessels is sometimes called the cardiovascular system
Here are more roots for your heart and blood vessels.
- Blood is hem or hemo or sangu
- Blood vessels are angi or angio
- Veins are ven or veno or phleb or phlebo
- Aorta is aort
- Heart is cardi or cardio
- Arteries are arteri or arterio