You lose up to 100 hairs from your scalp every day. That's normal, and in most people, those hairs grow back. But many men -- and some women -- lose hair as they grow older. You can also lose your hair if you have certain diseases, such as thyroid problems, diabetes, or lupus. If you take certain medicines or have chemotherapy for cancer, you may also lose your hair. Other causes are stress, a low protein diet, a family history, or poor nutrition.
Treatment for hair loss depends on the cause. In some cases, treating the underlying cause will correct the problem. Other treatments include medicines and hair restoration.
- Chemotherapy and Hair Loss: What to Expect during Treatment (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Do You Have Hair Loss or Hair Shedding? (American Academy of Dermatology)
- Hair Loss (Alopecia) and Cancer Treatment (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Stress and Hair Loss: Are They Related? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Novel mutations in Chinese hypotrichosis simplex patients associated with LSS gene.
- Article: Two cases of severe congenital hypotrichosis caused by compound heterozygous mutations...
- Article: De novo SMARCA2 variants clustered outside the helicase domain cause a...
- Hair Loss -- see more articles
- Trichotillomania (Nemours Foundation)
- Female Pattern Hair Loss (American Osteopathic College of Dermatology)
- Thinning Hair and Hair Loss: Could It Be Female Pattern Hair Loss? (American Academy of Dermatology)
- Alopecia areata (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Coping with cancer -- hair loss (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Female pattern baldness (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Hair loss (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Hair transplant (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Male pattern baldness (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Trichotillomania (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish