Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. It is found mainly in foods but may also be in other products like medicines, vitamins, and supplements. People with gluten sensitivity have problems with gluten. It is different from celiac disease, an immune disease in which people can't eat gluten because it will damage their small intestine.
Some of the symptoms of gluten sensitivity are similar to celiac disease. They include tiredness and stomachaches. It can cause other symptoms too, including muscle cramps and leg numbness. But it does not damage the small intestine like celiac disease.
Researchers are still learning more about gluten sensitivity. If your health care provider thinks you have it, he or she may suggest that you stop eating gluten to see if your symptoms go away. However, you should first be tested to rule out celiac disease.
Dept. of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health
- 4-Week Gluten-Free Meal Plan (Gluten Intolerance Group) - PDF
- Avoiding Gluten Cross-Contamination (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
- Especially for Women: Could Gluten be Causing Your Symptoms? (Gluten Intolerance Group) - PDF
- Gluten Sensitivity (Gluten Intolerance Group)
- Gluten-Free Diet Guide for Families (North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition) - PDF Also in Spanish
- Gluten-Free Diet: Nutrition and Healthy Eating (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Gluten-Free Labeling of Foods (Food and Drug Administration)
- Gluten-Free Recipes (Celiac Support Association)
- Going Gluten Free? Necessary for Some, Optional for Others (National Institutes of Health) Also in Spanish
- How to Find Gluten-Free Options (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
- Non-Celiac Wheat Sensitivity (Celiac Disease Foundation)
- Quick Start Gluten Free Diet Guide for Celiac Disease and Non Celiac Sensitivity (Gluten Intolerance Group) - PDF
- Restaurant Dining: Seven Tips for Staying Gluten Free (Gluten Intolerance Group) - PDF
- Sources of Gluten (Celiac Disease Foundation)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Gluten Sensitivity (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Characterization of Paroxysmal Gluten-Sensitive Dyskinesia in Border Terriers Using Serological...
- Article: Nutritional Consideration in Celiac Disease and Nonceliac Gluten Sensitivity.
- Article: Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Crossover Trial for the Diagnosis of Non-Celiac...
- Gluten Sensitivity -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Find a Healthcare Practitioner (Celiac Disease Foundation)
- Find a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)
- Gluten Intolerance Group
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases