See, Play and Learn
- No links available
The uterus, or womb, is the place where a baby grows when a woman is pregnant. If you have an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg grows in the wrong place, outside the uterus, usually in the fallopian tubes. The result is usually a miscarriage.
Ectopic pregnancy can be a medical emergency if it ruptures. Signs of ectopic pregnancy include:
- Abdominal pain
- Shoulder pain
- Vaginal bleeding
- Feeling dizzy or faint
Get medical care right away if you have these signs. Doctors use drugs or surgery to remove the ectopic tissue so it doesn't damage your organs. Many women who have had ectopic pregnancies go on to have healthy pregnancies later.
Dept. of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health
- Ectopic Pregnancy (Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- Ectopic Pregnancy (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists)
- Ectopic Pregnancy (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Common Discomforts of Pregnancy (March of Dimes Foundation)
Diagnosis and Tests
- Obstetrical Ultrasound (American College of Radiology; Radiological Society of North America) Also in Spanish
- Pregnancy Test (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
- Progesterone Test (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
Treatments and Therapies
- Dilation and curettage (D&C) (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Diethylstilbestrol (DES) Exposure and Cancer (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Pregnancy, Abdominal (National Institutes of Health)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Pregnancy, Ectopic (National Institutes of Health)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Pregnancy, Tubal (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Early prediction of the failure of methotrexate treatment by Days 1-4...
- Article: Undisturbed tubal pregnancies with positive fetal heart treated medically: Case study.
- Article: Abnormal expression of SLIT3 induces intravillous vascularization dysplasia in ectopic pregnancy.
- Ectopic Pregnancy -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Also in Spanish
- Find an Ob-Gyn (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists)
- March of Dimes Foundation Also in Spanish
- Ectopic/Tubal Pregnancy and Miscarriage (Boston Children's Hospital)
- D and C (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Ectopic pregnancy (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- HCG blood test - quantitative (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish