Diabetes by itself puts you at risk for heart disease. Other risk factors include
- Family history of heart disease
- Carrying extra weight around the waist
- Abnormal cholesterol levels
- High blood pressure
Some people who have diabetic heart disease have no signs or symptoms of heart disease. Others have some or all of the symptoms of heart disease.
Treatments include medications to treat heart damage or to lower your blood glucose (blood sugar), blood pressure, and cholesterol. If you are not already taking a low dose of aspirin every day, your doctor may suggest it. You also may need surgery or some other medical procedure. Lifestyle changes also help. These include a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, being physically active, and quitting smoking.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Diagnosis and Tests
- Heart Health Tests for Diabetes Patients (American Heart Association)
Prevention and Risk Factors
- Taking Aspirin to Protect Your Heart (American Diabetes Association) - PDF
- Taking Care of Your Diabetes Means Taking Care of Your Heart (National Diabetes Education Program) - PDF
Treatments and Therapies
- Medical Tests and Procedures for Finding and Treating Heart and Blood Vessel Disease (American Diabetes Association) - PDF
- Cook with Heart-Healthy Foods (American Diabetes Association) Also in Spanish
- Diabetes-Friendly Recipes (American Heart Association)
- Protect Your Heart: Check Food Labels to Make Heart-Healthy Choices (American Diabetes Association) - PDF
- Protect Your Heart: Choose Healthy Fats (American Diabetes Association) - PDF
- Protect Your Heart: Make Smart Food Choices (American Diabetes Association) - PDF
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: In patients with diabetic foot, improved left ventricular functions are detected...
- Article: Therapeutic potential of vitamin D in AGE/RAGE-related cardiovascular diseases.
- Article: Diabetic Cardiomyopathy: Definition, Diagnosis, and Therapeutic Implications.
- Diabetic Heart Disease -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- NIDDK Information Clearinghouses (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)