Having a pain in your chest can be scary. It does not always mean that you are having a heart attack. There can be many other causes, including
- Other heart problems, such as angina
- Panic attacks
- Digestive problems, such as heartburn or esophagus disorders
- Sore muscles
- Lung diseases, such as pneumonia, pleurisy, or pulmonary embolism
- Costochondritis - an inflammation of joints in your chest
Some of these problems can be serious. Get immediate medical care if you have chest pain that does not go away, crushing pain or pressure in the chest, or chest pain along with nausea, sweating, dizziness or shortness of breath. Treatment depends on the cause of the pain.
- Just 6 Percent of Chest Pain Cases in ER Are Life-Threatening (06/15/2016, HealthDay)
Diagnosis and Tests
- Chest Pain, Acute (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- Chest Pain, Chronic (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- Heartburn or Chest Pain: When Is It Heart Attack? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Stress Tests for Chest Pain: When You Need an Imaging Test -- and When You Don't (ABIM Foundation)
Treatments and Therapies
- Chest Pain: First Aid (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Angina (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute) Also in Spanish
- Costochondritis (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Non-Cardiac Chest Pain (American College of Gastroenterology)
- Pericarditis (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)
- Pleurisy (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
Health Check Tools
- Chest Pain (DSHI Systems)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Chest Pain (National Institutes of Health)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Review: In patients with chest pain, risk scores better predict...
- Article: Diagnostic Strategies for the Evaluation of Chest Pain: Clinical Implications...
- Article: 2015 ACR/ACC/AHA/AATS/ACEP/ASNC/NASCI/SAEM/SCCT/SCMR/SCPC/SNMMI/STR/STS Appropriate Utilization of Cardiovascular Imaging in Emergency Department...
- Chest Pain -- see more articles