Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus found around the world. It is related to the viruses that cause chickenpox and infectious mononucleosis (mono). Between 50 percent and 80 percent of adults in the United States have had a CMV infection by age 40. Once CMV is in a person's body, it stays there for life.
CMV is spread through close contact with body fluids. Most people with CMV don't get sick and don't know that they've been infected. But infection with the virus can be serious in babies and people with weak immune systems. If a woman gets CMV when she is pregnant, she can pass it on to her baby. Usually the babies do not have health problems. But some babies can develop lifelong disabilities.
A blood test can tell whether a person has ever been infected with CMV. Most people with CMV don't need treatment. If you have a weakened immune system, your doctor may prescribe antiviral medicine. Good hygiene, including proper hand washing, may help prevent infections.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Diagnosis and Tests
- CMV (American Association for Clinical Chemistry)
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infection: A Guide for Patients and Families After Stem Cell Transplant (National Institutes of Health, Clinical Center) - PDF
- Neurological Consequences of Cytomegalovirus Infection (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Cytomegalovirus Infections (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Pharmacokinetic drug evaluation of letermovir prophylaxis for cytomegalovirus in hematopoietic...
- Article: Less renal allograft fibrosis with valganciclovir prophylaxis for cytomegalovirus compared...
- Article: Congenital cytomegalovirus infection inducing non-congenital sensorineural hearing loss during childhood;...
- Cytomegalovirus Infections -- see more articles
- Acute cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- CMV - gastroenteritis/colitis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- CMV - pneumonia (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- CMV serology test (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Cytomegalovirus retinitis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish