Cystic fibrosis (CF) is an inherited disease of the mucus and sweat glands. It affects mostly your lungs, pancreas, liver, intestines, sinuses, and sex organs. CF causes your mucus to be thick and sticky. The mucus clogs the lungs, causing breathing problems and making it easy for bacteria to grow. This can lead to repeated lung infections and lung damage.
The symptoms and severity of CF can vary. Some people have serious problems from birth. Others have a milder version of the disease that doesn't show up until they are teens or young adults. Sometimes you will have few symptoms, but later you may have more symptoms.
CF is diagnosed through various tests, such as gene, blood, and sweat tests. There is no cure for CF, but treatments have improved greatly in recent years. In the past, most deaths from CF were in children and teenagers. Today, with improved treatments, some people who have CF are living into their forties, fifties, or older. Treatments may include chest physical therapy, nutritional and respiratory therapies, medicines, and exercise.
NIH: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- Airway Clearance Techniques (ACTs) (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation)
- Basics of Postural Drainage and Percussion (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation)
- Day-to-Day Exercise and Cystic Fibrosis (CF) (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation) - PDF
- Dietary Tips for Kids With Cystic Fibrosis (Nemours Foundation)
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation: MedlinePlus Health Topic (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
- Supporting Nutrition: Understanding Tubefeeding (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation) - PDF
- Aspergillus and Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation)
- CF and School (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation)
- COVID-19: COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, and Pulmonary Fibrosis (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Cystic Fibrosis-Related Diabetes (CFRD): Daily Management (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation) - PDF
- Germs and Staying Healthy (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation)
- Marvels of Mucus and Phlegm: The Slime That Keeps You Healthy (National Institutes of Health) Also in Spanish
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Cystic Fibrosis (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Efficacy of Problem-Solving Intervention to Improve Adherence in Adolescents and Adults...
- Article: Impact of COVID-19 on social determinants of health for adults with...
- Article: Mucus Release and Airway Constriction by TMEM16A May Worsen Pathology in...
- Cystic Fibrosis -- see more articles
- Dietary Tips for Teens With Cystic Fibrosis (Nemours Foundation)
- Cystic fibrosis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Cystic fibrosis - nutritional considerations (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- How to breathe when you are short of breath (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Neonatal cystic fibrosis screening test (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Postural drainage (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Sweat electrolytes test (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish