The urethra is the tube that allows urine to pass out of the body. In men, it's a long tube that runs through the penis. It also carries semen in men. In women, it's short and is just above the vagina. Urethral problems may happen due to aging, illness, or injury. They include
- Urethral cancer - a rare cancer that happens more often in men
- Urethral stricture - a narrowing of the opening of the urethra
- Urethritis - inflammation of the urethra, sometimes caused by infection
Urethral problems may cause pain or difficulty passing urine. You may also have bleeding or discharge from the urethra.
Doctors diagnose urethral problems using different tests. These include urine tests, x-rays and an examination of the urethra with a scope called a cystoscope. Treatment depends on the cause of the problem. It may include medicines and, in severe cases, surgery.
- Congenital anomalies of kidney and urinary tract: MedlinePlus Genetics (National Library of Medicine)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Advance in research of treatment and prognosis of iatrogenic rectourethral fistula.
- Article: Transanal fistulectomy for postoperative persistent rectourethral fistula in patients with ARM:...
- Article: Urethrocutaneous fistulas after voluntary medical male circumcision for HIV prevention-15 African...
- Urethral Disorders -- see more articles
- Blocked Urethral Valves (American Academy of Pediatrics) Also in Spanish
- Children's (Pediatric) Voiding Cystourethrogram (American College of Radiology; Radiological Society of North America) Also in Spanish
- Hydronephrosis in Newborns (National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse) Also in Spanish
- Chlamydial infections - male (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Epispadias (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Meatal stenosis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Self catheterization - female (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Self catheterization - male (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Traumatic injury of the bladder and urethra (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Urethral discharge culture (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Urethral stricture (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Urethritis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Urinary Retention (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)