On this page
- No links available
See, Play and Learn
- No links available
Your throat is a tube that carries food to your esophagus and air to your windpipe and larynx (also called the voice box). The technical name for the throat is pharynx.
You can have a sore throat for many reasons. Often, colds and flu cause sore throats. Other causes can include:
Treatment depends on the cause. Sucking on lozenges, drinking lots of liquids, and gargling may ease the pain. Over-the-counter pain relievers can also help, but children should not take aspirin.
- Sore Throat (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- Sore Throat (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Sore Throat: When to See a Doctor (American Osteopathic Association)
- Sore Throats (American Academy of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery)
- Sore Throat: Symptoms and Causes (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Throat Problems (Symptom Checker) (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
Diagnosis and Tests
- Difference between a Sore Throat, Strep, and Tonsillitis (American Academy of Pediatrics) Also in Spanish
- Strep A Test (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
Treatments and Therapies
- Mouth Dryness or Thick Saliva (American Cancer Society) Also in Spanish
- Sore Throat: Diagnosis and Treatment (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Pharyngitis (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Risk factors for deep neck infection in patients with sore throat...
- Article: Knowledge, attitude, and practice regarding treatment of group a beta haemolytic...
- Article: Comparison of intra-cuff lidocaine vs alkalinized lidocaine effects for prevention of...
- Sore Throat -- see more articles
- Pharynx Anatomy (National Cancer Institute)
Find an Expert
- American Academy of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery
- Find an ENT (American Academy of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery)
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- Sore Throat (For Parents) (Nemours Foundation)
- When a Sore Throat Is a More Serious Infection (American Academy of Pediatrics) Also in Spanish
- Pharyngitis (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Pharyngitis - viral (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish