Prep time: 20 to 30 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 55 to 65 minutes
Number of Servings: 7
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped bell pepper
- 3 cups (28-oz can) diced or crushed tomatoes, including juice
- 1/2 cup corn or other vegetables (fresh, frozen, or canned, drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, jalapeno pepper and bell pepper and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining vegetables, cumin, chili powder and salt. Simmer until heated through and vegetables are cooked.
- Add cooked rice (or serve over rice) and sprinkle cilantro over the top before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese over the top with cilantro before serving.
- Use 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes instead of canned.