Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Number of Servings: 9
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta (try rotini, penne or bow tie noodles)
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 2 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 °F in an electric skillet). Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add bell pepper, zucchini, and eggplant. Cook about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil. Cook another 2 to 4 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve over pasta and top with cheese.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try adding more seasonings such as oregano, red pepper flakes or fresh basil.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.