Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Number of Servings: 8
- 1 large chicken breast, cubed (about one cup)
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups 1% or nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 8 ounces dry penne pasta (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups chopped broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in oil.
- Add flour, broth, milk, spices and pasta to skillet and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook until pasta is almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli, cover, and cook until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try whole wheat pasta to increase fiber and make this a whole grain meal.
Recipes that make it to Food Hero have had a long journey getting there. Most of the recipes have been used by our nutrition educators in the field and then submitted to the Food Hero team to be considered for the website. Recipes have the criteria found at this link: https://foodhero.org/recipe-criteria.