Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Number of Servings: 12
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups black beans, about 2 cans (15 ounces) cooked or canned (with liquid)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1/3 cup lime juice or juice from 1 lime
- hot sauce to taste
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the beans, potatoes and water. Bring to a boil; then reduce to medium-low heat. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, cumin, lime juice and hot pepper sauce, if desired. Stir and cook for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try topping soup with non-fat sour cream, chopped cilantro and baked tortilla chips.
- Freeze extra lime juice to use later.