Your peritoneum is the tissue that lines your abdominal wall and covers most of the organs in your abdomen. A liquid, peritoneal fluid, lubricates the surface of this tissue.
Disorders of the peritoneum are not common. They include
- Peritonitis - an inflammation of the peritoneum
- Complications from peritoneal dialysis
Your doctor may use imaging tests or lab tests to analyze the peritoneal fluid to diagnose the problem. Treatment of peritoneal disorders depends on the cause.
- Ascites: A Common Problem in People with Cirrhosis (American College of Gastroenterology)
- Familial Mediterranean Fever (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Peritoneal Dialysis (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Peritoneal Ports (Radiological Society of North America) Also in Spanish
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Giant peritoneal loose body : a case report and review of...
- Article: Antibiotic treatment for spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in people with decompensated liver...
- Article: Intraperitoneal hemorrhage during pregnancy and parturition: Case reports and literature review.
- Peritoneal Disorders -- see more articles