Your peritoneum is the tissue that lines your abdominal wall and covers most of the organs in your abdomen. A liquid, peritoneal fluid, lubricates the surface of this tissue.
Disorders of the peritoneum are not common. They include
- Peritonitis - an inflammation of the peritoneum
- Complications from peritoneal dialysis
Your doctor may use imaging tests or lab tests to analyze the peritoneal fluid to diagnose the problem. Treatment of peritoneal disorders depends on the cause.
- Peritonitis (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Ascites: A Common Problem in People with Cirrhosis (American College of Gastroenterology)
- Familial Mediterranean Fever (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Peritoneal Dialysis (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Peritoneal Ports (Radiological Society of North America) Also in Spanish
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Gastric Cancer Cells in Peritoneal Lavage Fluid: A Systematic Review...
- Article: Increased levels of prostaglandin E-major urinary metabolite (PGE-MUM) in active...
- Article: Acute superior mesenteric vein thrombosis associated with abdominal trauma: A...
- Peritoneal Disorders -- see more articles