See, Play and Learn
- No links available
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel and act as we cope with life. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
Mental illnesses are serious disorders which can affect your thinking, mood, and behavior. There are many causes of mental disorders. Your genes and family history may play a role. Your life experiences, such as stress or a history of abuse, may also matter. Biological factors can also be part of the cause. Mental disorders are common, but treatments are available.
- Live Your Life Well (Mental Health America)
- Mental Health: Keeping Your Emotional Health (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- Mind/Body Connection: How Your Emotions Affect Your Health (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- Positive Emotions and Your Health: Developing a Brighter Outlook (National Institutes of Health) Also in Spanish
- What Is Mental Health? (Department of Health and Human Services)
- Knowing Too Much about Your Genes Might Be Risky (11/13/2017, HealthDay)
- Surgical Residents Prime Candidates for Stress, Depression, Alcohol Abuse (11/08/2017, HealthDay)
- Your Friends May Be Key to A Healthy Aging Brain (11/08/2017, HealthDay)
- More News on Mental Health
Diagnosis and Tests
- Mental Health: What's Normal, What's Not? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- For a Healthy Mind and Body Talk to a Psychologist (American Psychological Association) Also in Spanish
- Forgiveness: Letting Go of Grudges and Bitterness (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Friendships: Enrich Your Life and Improve Your Health (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- How to Be Happy: Tips for Cultivating Contentment (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Mental Health and Heart Health (American Heart Association)
- Mindfulness Exercises: How to Get Started (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Road to Resilience (American Psychological Association) Also in Spanish
- Anger Management (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Building Self-Esteem: A Self-Help Guide (Center for Mental Health Services) - PDF
- Creating a Healthier Life: A Step-By-Step Guide to Wellness (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) - PDF
- Latino Mental Health (NAMI)
- Self-Esteem Check: Too Low, Too High or Just Right? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
Statistics and Research
- Do Social Ties Affect Our Health? Exploring the Biology of Relationships (National Institutes of Health) Also in Spanish
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Mental Health (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Hope, Core Self-Evaluations, Emotional Well-Being, Health-Risk Behaviors, and Academic Performance...
- Article: Effects of lay support for pregnant women with social risk...
- Article: The association between peptic ulcer diseases and mental health problems:...
- Mental Health -- see more articles