A mastectomy is surgery to remove a breast or part of a breast. It is usually done to treat breast cancer. Types of breast surgery include
- Total (simple) mastectomy - removal of breast tissue and nipple
- Modified radical mastectomy - removal of the breast, most of the lymph nodes under the arm, and often the lining over the chest muscles
- Lumpectomy - surgery to remove the tumor and a small amount of normal tissue around it
Which surgery you have depends on the stage of cancer, size of the tumor, size of the breast, and whether the lymph nodes are involved. Many women have breast reconstruction to rebuild the breast after a mastectomy.
Sometimes mastectomy is done to prevent breast cancer. Only high-risk patients have this type of surgery.
NIH: National Cancer Institute
- Breast Cancer Surgery (Susan G. Komen for the Cure) - PDF Also in Spanish
- Mastectomy (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research) Also in Spanish
- Mastectomy -- The Surgical Procedure (Susan G. Komen for the Cure)
- Surgery Choices for Women with DCIS or Breast Cancer (National Cancer Institute) - PDF
- Surgery for Breast Cancer (American Cancer Society) Also in Spanish
- Surgical Procedures for Breast Cancer - Mastectomy and Breast Conserving Therapy (Beyond the Basics) (UpToDate)
- More Women Choose Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy (10/13/2017, HealthDay)
- Double Mastectomy May Mean a Hit to The Paycheck (10/09/2017, HealthDay)
- Mastectomy Study Confirms 'Jolie Effect' (09/25/2017, HealthDay)
- Adjuvant Medical Therapy for HER2-Positive Breast Cancer (UpToDate)
- Breast Cancer: Treatment Options (American Society of Clinical Oncology) Also in Spanish
- Choosing a Breast Prosthesis: A Survivor's Perspective (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
- Talking with the Doctor about Breast Surgery Options (American Society of Clinical Oncology)
Videos and Tutorials
- Breast Reconstruction: Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator (BroadcastMed) - Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY, 1/11/2008
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Mastectomy (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Prescription Opioid Use among Opioid-Naive Women Undergoing Immediate Breast Reconstruction.
- Article: Comparison of breast-conserving surgery with mastectomy in locally advanced breast...
- Article: Reply: Late Surgical-Site Infection in Immediate Implant-Based Breast Reconstruction.
- Mastectomy -- see more articles
- Surgery for Breast Cancer in Men (American Cancer Society)