If you need a mastectomy, you have a choice about whether or not to have surgery to rebuild the shape of the breast. Instead of breast reconstruction, you could choose to wear a breast form that replaces the breast, wear padding inside your bra, or do nothing. All of these options have pros and cons. What is right for one woman may not be right for another.
Breast reconstruction may be done at the same time as the mastectomy, or it may be done later on. If radiation therapy is part of the treatment plan, your doctor may suggest waiting until after radiation therapy.
If you're thinking about breast reconstruction, talk to a plastic surgeon before the mastectomy, even if you plan to have your reconstruction later on.
A surgeon can reconstruct the breast in many ways. Some women choose to have breast implants, which are filled with saline or silicone gel. Another method uses tissue taken from another part of your body. The plastic surgeon can take skin, muscle, and fat from your lower abdomen, back, or buttocks.
The type of reconstruction that is best for you depends on your age, body type, and the type of cancer surgery that you had. A plastic surgeon can help you decide.
NIH: National Cancer Institute
- Breast Reconstruction (Susan G. Komen for the Cure)
- Breast reconstruction - implants (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Breast reconstruction - natural tissue (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Breast reconstruction - series -- Indication, part 1 (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Breast Reconstruction after Mastectomy (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Breast Reconstruction or Prosthesis after Mastectomy (Susan G. Komen for the Cure) - PDF
- Mastectomy and breast reconstruction - what to ask your doctor (Medical Encyclopedia) Also in Spanish
- Risks and Complications of Breast Implants (Food and Drug Administration)
- Should I Get Breast Reconstruction Surgery? (American Cancer Society) Also in Spanish
- Types of Breast Implants (Food and Drug Administration)
- What to Expect After Breast Reconstruction Surgery (American Cancer Society)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: A Simple Technique Using Peri-Prosthetic Irrigation Improves Implant Salvage Rates in...
- Article: Normative BREAST-Q reconstruction scores for satisfaction and well-being of the breasts...
- Article: Beyond the scars: a qualitative study on the experiences of mastectomy...
- Breast Reconstruction -- see more articles