See, Play and Learn
- No links available
- No links available
HIV, the human immunodeficiency virus, kills or damages cells of the body's immune system. The most advanced stage of infection with HIV is AIDS, which stands for acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.
HIV often spreads through unprotected sex with an infected person. It may also spread by sharing drug needles or through contact with the blood of an infected person.
Women can get HIV more easily during vaginal sex than men can. And if they do get HIV, they have unique problems, including:
- Complications such as repeated vaginal yeast infections, severe pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), and a higher risk of cervical cancer
- Different side effects from the drugs that treat HIV
- The risk of giving HIV to their baby while pregnant or during childbirth
- Monthly Vaginal Ring May Help Protect Against HIV (07/18/2016, HealthDay)
- HIV Symptoms (Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health)
Treatments and Therapies
- Treatments for HIV/AIDS (Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health)
- Minority Women's Health: HIV/AIDS (Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health)
Statistics and Research
- HIV among Women (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Also in Spanish
- Intersection of Intimate Partner Violence and HIV in Women (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) - PDF
- Women and HIV/AIDS in the United States (Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation)
- ClinicalTrials.gov: HIV/AIDS in Women (National Institutes of Health)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Association of Medical Male Circumcision and Antiretroviral Therapy Scale-up With...
- Article: Engaging the voice of women in HIV prevention, care, and...
- Article: Understanding Cross-Sectional Racial, Ethnic, and Gender Disparities in Antiretroviral Use...
- HIV/AIDS in Women -- see more articles
Find an Expert
- AIDSinfo (Department of Health and Human Services) Also in Spanish
- NIAID Division of Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases)