See, Play and Learn
- No links available
Your gallbladder is a pear-shaped organ under your liver. It stores bile, a fluid made by your liver to digest fat. As your stomach and intestines digest food, your gallbladder releases bile through a tube called the common bile duct. The duct connects your gallbladder and liver to your small intestine.
Cancer of the gallbladder is rare. It is more common in women and Native Americans. Symptoms include
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes)
- Pain above the stomach
- Nausea and vomiting
- Lumps in the abdomen
It is hard to diagnose gallbladder cancer in its early stages. Sometimes doctors find it when they remove the gallbladder for another reason. But people with gallstones rarely have gallbladder cancer. Because it is often found late, it can be hard to treat gallbladder cancer. Treatment options include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, or a combination.
NIH: National Cancer Institute
Diagnosis and Tests
- Abdominal Ultrasound (American College of Radiology; Radiological Society of North America) Also in Spanish
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography) (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases) Also in Spanish
- Liver Function Tests (National Library of Medicine) Also in Spanish
- Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) (American College of Radiology; Radiological Society of North America) Also in Spanish
- Stages of Gallbladder Cancer (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Tests for Gallbladder Cancer (American Cancer Society) Also in Spanish
Treatments and Therapies
- Surgery for Gallbladder Cancer (American Cancer Society) Also in Spanish
- Treatment of Localized and Locally Advanced Gallbladder Cancer (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Treatment of Unresectable, Metastatic, or Recurrent Gallbladder Cancer (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- Treatment Option Overview (Gallbladder Cancer) (National Cancer Institute) Also in Spanish
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Gallbladder Neoplasms (National Institutes of Health)
Journal Articles References and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Next generation sequencing uncovers multiple miRNAs associated molecular targets in gallbladder...
- Article: A nomogram predicting the outcome of gallbladder cancer patients with different...
- Article: The utility of systemic immune inflammatory index in discriminating between gallbladder...
- Gallbladder Cancer -- see more articles