A normal pregnancy lasts nine months. Each three-month period of pregnancy is called a trimester. During each trimester, the fetus grows and develops. There are specific prenatal tests to monitor both the mother's health and fetal health during each trimester.
With modern technology, health professionals can
- Detect birth defects
- Identify problems that may affect childbirth
- Correct some kinds of fetal problems before the baby is born
- How Your Baby Grows (March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation)
- Prenatal Development: How Your Baby Grows During Pregnancy (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) Also in Spanish
- Stages of Pregnancy (Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women's Health) Also in Spanish
- Your Baby's Development: The First Trimester (American Academy of Family Physicians)
- Your Baby's Development: The Second Trimester (American Academy of Family Physicians)
- Your Baby's Development: The Third Trimester (American Academy of Family Physicians)
- Brain Deficits in Preemies May Start Before Birth (01/12/2017, HealthDay)
Diagnosis and Tests
- What Are the Risks of Preeclampsia and Eclampsia to the Fetus? (National Institute of Child Health and Human Development)
- Detecting Kidney and Urinary Tract Abnormalities Before Birth (National Kidney Foundation)
- Detection of a Heart Defect in the Fetus (American Heart Association)
- Fetal Circulation (American Heart Association)
- Fetal Heart (Texas Heart Institute) Also in Spanish
- Fundal Height: An Accurate Indicator of Fetal Growth? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)
- Hydrops Fetalis/Erythroblastosis Fetalis (Children's Hospital and Health System, Wisconsin)
- Intrauterine Growth Restriction (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
Statistics and Research
- Surgery on Fetus Reduces Complications of Spina Bifida (National Institute of Child Health and Human Development)
Journal ArticlesReferences and abstracts from MEDLINE/PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- Article: Cohort study on maternal cytomegalovirus seroprevalence and prevalence and clinical...
- Article: Birth Defects Among Fetuses and Infants of US Women With...
- Article: International standards for symphysis-fundal height based on serial measurements from...
- Fetal Health and Development -- see more articles