A Heart-Healthy Recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
A tart and tangy fruit dessert that's just perfect on a cold winter night.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 3/4 tsp lemon juice
- 5 cups apples, unpeeled, sliced
- 1 cup cranberries
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp soft margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- To prepare the filling: In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, flour, and lemon peel. Mix well. Add the lemon juice, apples, and cranberries; stir to mix. Spoon into a 6-cup baking dish.
- To prepare the topping: In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, whole-wheat flour, and cinnamon. Add the melted margarine; stir to mix.
- Sprinkle the topping over the filling. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the top is brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tip: To make a Summer Crisp variation, prepare as directed, substituting 4 cups fresh or unsweetened frozen (thawed) peaches and 3 cups fresh or unsweetened frozen (unthawed) blueberries for the apples and cranberries.