Prep time: 15 to 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 to 60 minutes
Total time: 60 to 80 minutes
Number of Servings: 16
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour or all-purpose flour (try a combination)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or honey*
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (squeeze out some moisture after measuring)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or seeds, any type (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch bread pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and zucchini. Mix until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until the dry ingredients are moistened, without overmixing. Gently add nuts and raisins, if desired.
- Pour batter into pan and spread into the corners.
- Bake 45 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan and let cool completely on a rack. Slice to serve.
- Wrap to store for several days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- You can substitute 1/4 cup oil with 1/4 to 1/2 cup mashed banana or unsweetened applesauce.
- You can use grated carrot or mashed banana with grated zucchini for a total of 1 1/2 cups.
- Try other spices such as cloves, allspice or ginger. If you like spices, use more than the recipe suggests.
- *Honey is not recommended for children under 1 year old.